Monday, July 26, 2010

RIP Brent Mydland (1952-1990)

Today is the 20th anniversary of the death of Brent Mydland, keyboardist for the Grateful Dead. During his time with the Dead, he was known for his soulful voice and deep, organic tones and fills. Brent died on July 26th, 1990, three days after the final show of the Dead's 1990 Summer Tour. For the encore of the tour closing show, the Dead played a spot-on cover of the Band's "The Weight". Their version featured different members of the group singing their own verse throughout the course of the song. Brent's verse reads: "Picked up my bags, and went lookin' for a place to hide / when I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side / I said 'hey Carmen, come on let's go downtown' / she said, 'I gotta go, but my friend can stick around'."

He died three days later.

The Grateful Dead "The Weight" (Live - 7/23/90 World Music Theater, Tinley Park, IL) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNvlLRRodYs

No comments:

Post a Comment